Post

Gentlemen Discussing Vidya 27 – Pokin’ Dodds HD Remix

glaillustration2

DownloadSubscribe on iTunesMore download options

The gentlemen discuss Space Funeral, millions of dollars, Trespasser and Sonic the Hedgehog. Dodds was asleep during the recording, so Catsman pokes him a lot to get him to make a noise.

• 0:46 – Intro
  • 1:24 – Comments
  • 14:28 – Game Book Club: Space Funeral
  • 32:12 – What have you been playing?
  • 1:00:51 – News
  • 1:21:19 – Catsman’s Conundrum and nonsense
  • 2:02:28 – Outro

The next game book club game is Magical Doropie for the NES.

39 thoughts on “Gentlemen Discussing Vidya 27 – Pokin’ Dodds HD Remix
  1. Happyman on said:

cold open of the year

2. Rob Welch on said:

the cold open was originally bob saying that halo was a ripoff of vivisector but i thought most people would just turn the podcast off in disgust and go hang themselves so i put that at the end instead

also both clips are from the segment on edge’s 10/10 games which i cut in its entireity because it was just dull stalling for time

3. fish.heads on said:

Note to listeners: Magical Doropie isn’t very good and I shouldn’t have suggested it (having only played five minutes of it beforehand). Don’t play it.

4. serpen1 on said:

Danica Patrick is the one true Godess

5. The original cut of this episode on itunes was kinda terrible, I’m glad to see it get some better editing.

• Happyman on said:

that was me. i was very sick when editing it and it was already late so i just banged it together and threw it out. adobe audition not working anymore didn’t help either. i’ll edit it properly next time

6. Ooparts on said:

Catsman saying “fuck everything” might need to be my new error sound.

7. Doctor_Borous on said:

Ok, where can I find that outro remix?
    It’s stuck in my head now and it’s killing me not knowing.

8. jamie kerr on said:

God dammit i wanted to hear what Happyman thought of the brony documentary

• Video Games on said:

Man, that brony documentary.

I wish people would stop making documentaries of things simply to validate/vilify stuff. That’s not the point of documentaries. Documentaries are made to INFORM, god damn it.

• Happyman on said:

it’s fucking funny. take a drink when you see yellow teeth, a fedora, or an uncomfortable parent

also they interview a lot of the voice actors and writers for the show but despite the doc being about the fanbase, all they talk about is how the show came about and what it’s like to work on it. they probably avoid the subject because they’re creeped the hell out by their fanbase

9. catsman will bear my children on said:

I really liked that there was some talk about Trespasser today. This guy, ResearchIndicates, did a FUCKING EXCELLENT let’s play of Trespasser. It’s very informative and I would say better than playing the game itself. You guys should do a book club for his videos.

• catsman will bear my children on said:

God dammit, I only just now heard someone mention the LP in the podcast. Ignore me.

• Rob Welch on said:

I read a postmortem of Trespasser after I’d beaten it, and it was a pretty melancholy read. Especially reading about how much of the work they’d done was completely scrapped to meet the shipping date. Looking back at the game, it all makes sense now. All the weird design decisions and bugs and bad controls. It had never occured to me that the shooting controls are so bad because originally guns and shooting segments were meant to be very rare, similar to a survival-horror game.

i do wonder what the game would have been like if it hadn’t had all those development problems. I’ll probably check out the LP when the game is a little less fresh in my mind.

10. IceSickle on said:

Random thought of the now:

Are any of you guys planning on reviewing MirrorMoon EP, I’d really like to hear some of your thoughts on it.

• Rob Welch on said:

This game looks really interesting, I’ll put it on my wishlist. Probably won’t have time to play it now that my next semester is starting.

Linux compatibility = automatic gold star from me. 17/10

11. Cats I hope you’re aware that DP (Danica Patrick for those who are not blessed) is mine, we wrestled for her and I won and now I own the Danicar. Capiche?

12. jamie kerr on said:

There are great Dinosaur games! There is the Dino Crisis series! Our fanbase is probably the most forgotten which might be worse than being badly treated. Anyway what game or franchise do you guys think needs to be revived? It can include a game that was just a missed opportunity that would’ve done better with more work

13. is Gather Your Podcast ever coming back?

14. I think you guys should stop talking about video games and dedicate this podcast entirely to 9/11 theories.

Also Worst Game I’ve ever finished was Spec Ops the Line. The only part of the game that made me feel sick about killing people was the aweful gameplay.
    So that’d be this game OR Atlantis: The Lost Empire For the GBA..my very first Gba game.

15. Catsman you should to take back that shit you said about Carmak. He might have been involved in only few projects lately (because Id only release, like, one game per century), but he’s EXTREMELY technically knowledgeable, he’s been involved in VR a few times, he has in-depth understanding of the nuts-and-bolts of graphics engines, hardware and software, and he’s generally an all-around fucking clever guy. The guy sends rockets into space! He’s actually far more qualified to develop the Oculus Rift than the original devs, and he can give them a super wide knowledge base that many developers lack. Not releasing a billion games does not make him irrelevant to the project, you should really watch one of his QuakeCon lectures.

• Rob Welch on said:

You are mistaken! I have the greatest respect for John Carmack. I’ve been researching\writing a video (a followup to 5 great horror games with bad graphics) all about how different genres came to be. I cannot overstate how much of a genius that man was – he was years ahead of his time.

But Carmack is a programmer at heart, that’s what he loves. He doesn’t love games, he doesn’t love gameplay, he doesn’t love game design, that’s what Romero used to do. The best thing that ever happened to the iD tech engines after Romero left was them being licesned out to other developers, and when Zenimax bought iD they swiftly put a stop to that.

Yes, Carmack is still a genius. Undisputed. Has his company made a good game in the last decade? No. I stand by that. Doom 3 and Quake 4 was proof that iD have lost their way, and all they’re good for now is very expensive tech demos. So what, exactly, makes him relevant in the gaming industry?

• All of the qualities I mentioned before make him relevant, not to the games of the OR but to their technical aspects. I’m fairly certain they’re not bringing him in as a sound designer or 3D artist, but as a technical expert on graphics engines, code optimization, resolving latency in the hardware and peripherals and so on; so while his direct current-day relevance to the gaming industry is debatable, his relevance to the Oculus Rift isn’t, in my opinion. Would like to see that video when it’s ready, though.

Also I wouldn’t fuck with someone who can do this:

16. The only way to fix the controls in Kid Icarus is to Git Gud

17. Some ‘news/topics’ for next podcast. Not even sure if it’s newsworthy so it’s not that you HAVE to discuss it or anything.

Molyneuxws:
    Molyneyx dissing GTA5 sales. It’s on.

Kickstarter:
    From what I understand: 500k donated, backers are left hanging.

“We never planned on our Kickstarter being successful”. Yeah.

Your ads could be in this game.

Interesting, but seems a bit pricy for a SC2 map. Slightly conflicted about this.

I… what?

50k for this beauty.

18. Mortified on said:

If you guys ever have an opening in your videogame book club woud you consider playing a little old game called “Sky Odyssey” on the PS2. It’s kind of obscure (you’ve probably never heard of it) but it has probably my favourite sound track in all of videogaming to date.

It’s an “action-adventure flight simulator” you have to travel accros a collection of 3 islands searching for peices of a lost map detailing the way to reach the illusive 4th island “Destin Island” and the “Tower of Maximus”. Graphically the game is subpar but it makes up for it in engaging gameplay.

As for the soundtrack, the games composer was Kow Otani, who did the music for Shadow of the Collosus. It’s kind of long depending on your ability but well worth a play and bear in mind that a thumb stick is almost completely necessary for controls if you play it on an emulator if you do consider it for the book club.

P.S. Kickstarter watch seems to have become quite sparse, where are my terrible half baked ideas Happyman?

• Rob Welch on said:

It sounds like a lot of fun, but unfortunately, for the book club, our game has to be A) easy to obtain and play, and B) short enough that we can all finish it (or at least play a reasonable amount of the game) before the next episode.

I’m sucker for a good soundtrack, though I’ll have to put that on my list. Right after sudoiken II…

P.S. check todays episode… lotta kickstarter watching going on there.