Gather Your Party

JUST VIDEO GAMES

A Retrospective Look at the F.E.A.R. Series

A Retrospective Look at the F.E.A.R. Series

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. fish.heads says:

It might be cool if you did a retrospective on Clover Studios or something…?

2. Cameo says:

could I get a direct link, please?
    my flash or html5 whatever is fucked.

3. A Guy says:

I really agree with the retrospective here, though, I’d be a lot harsher on F.E.A.R. 2 which I really disliked and found it to be very boring. In my eyes it is the worst part of the series overall, because it is just so monotonous in terms of gameplay and boring. F.E.A.R. 3 covered this aspect a lot better. The only problem was that it just was called F.E.A.R. 3.

• Jack Ragasa says:

Fear 2′s story was interesting take on the idea, I like what they attemped neough to power through it and beat it. Shame the gameplay was such a chore though.

I think I give Fear 2 so much leeway because of Snake-Fist.

4. mes0 says:

I’ve always been curious about the F.E.A.R. serious. Now I know not to play past the first game.

• Jay F says:

The expansions are worth giving a whirl. I think you should have covered them, Jack, despite their irrelevance to the story.

On a semi-related note, the FEAR/NOLF devs left Monolith and formed Black Powder Games, and are now working on Betrayer. Which, ignoring the questionable aesthetic, has a really interesting foundation, a 17th century, Colonial America setting filled with low-tech weapons like bows, crossbows, muskets, and all that sort of fanfare you can expect from the era. It looks like an exploration-centric shooter with some pretty meaty combat at the base of it all. Take a look at some videos or something. It’s only in alpha right now.

• Jack Ragasa says:

I would say some games have a fair reason to play them, on generous discount of course. Fear 2 took the story in a somewhat neat direction despite 80% of the story being worthless, and Fear 3′s Fettel mode is so fun to play. Its a shame these actual good reasons are marred by EVERYTHING ELSE.

Also Jay F, I probably should’ve done the DLC but man I had enough on my plate as-is and almost got overwhelmed due to reality issues alongside it. As for Betrayer, I have a generally bad viewpoint toward things in alpha but I’ll keep an eye on it and check it out if its more developed. Thanks for the heads up though.