Thief Reboot Coming in 2014

Thief Reboot Coming in 2014

360stealhnoscope

Game Informer announced today that Thief will be their cover-story for April, at the same time ending all rumors of the alleged existence of Thief 4 (or Thi4f as it was sometimes called). The new installment in the acclaimed stealth-based series is a complete reboot and is being handled by Eidos Montreal of Deus Ex: Human Revolution fame. History has come full-circle, it seems, as a new Thief game was their first announced project back when the studio was founded in 2009.

For now any information is scarce but that is bound to change once the newest GI issue hits the store-shelves. The main premise is as follows:

Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer.

Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.

The game is also described as a choice-driven game where players have the option to choose how would they like to progress through the level. “In Deus Ex, we really wanted to give different options in how to play, and we will want to bring a certain level of that to Thief” explained Stephane D’Astous, Eidos Montreal’s boss, in an interview with Official Xbox Magazine last year.

“I think if people spend $60 on a game, they want more than corridor shoot shoot, corridor shoot shoot. People are asking for a little more, so give them the choice of how they want to play.”

Thief will be out on PC, PS4 and “other next-generation consoles” (read: the new Xbox) in 2014. Check out the coverage trailer to hear some talking heads explain the project.

Source: Game InformerOXM

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a magnificent game. My one and only complaint was how melee was handled. Otherwise it was a very worthy sequel to the original. I have high hopes for this.

• anon says:

On the other hand Square Enix is now in full control. HR was already far along by the time they acquired Eidos. Their handling of Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider cannot be said to be faithful to the older games, they were clearly chasing the mainstream big bucks.

• Which is why I’m waiting for them to show more of the project.

Personally, I’m getting sick of reboots. I don’t even think Thief needs one. It just needs a new iteration that builds on the previous games, only bumped up to next-gen visuals.

It’s really not that hard to figure out, but apparently it is for Square Enix

• madatom says:

“they were clearly chasing the mainstream big bucks”

this mindset of constantly targeting a mainstream audience is deeply flawed as it assumes somebody who exclusively plays RTS would like a game like call of duty
        basically setting themselves up for disaster

• fgasdrwqer says:

Sequel to original Deus Ex? Human Revolution? Good?
      Why do you think it is good?

2. DirigibleQuixote says:

Well, if there are any people who can live up to the Thief name, Eidos Montreal are them.

I just hope they’re given the time and freedom they need in order to make it work. Specifically, I hope the guy misspoke when he mentioned the “Victorian” period, as the Thief games have, to my knowledge, always drawn more inspiration from the Elizabethan (read: “medieval”) period.

I really don’t want it to be yet another steampunk game aesthetically, regardless of how good the gameplay and narrative might be. I’m just so sick of people setting things in steampunk Victorian London, y’know?

3. Anon says:

-No Hammerites
    -No Magic
    -No Water Arrows
    -No Rope Arrows
    -Cinematic Takedowns
    -“Focus”

Ugh, and I was not a huge fan of HR either. It’s probably going to have the same bad level design, poor final half, have shit stealth mechanics (NPCs didn’t react to light in HR), shit story, etc. Hell I haven’t even seen any pictures of stealing treasure, which is kind of a part of the game.

Rest in pieces Thief.

• Hamburgerler says:

I really hope this isn’t the case.

• Plok says:

It was specifically stated that they wanted to tone down the magical element of the series. An example of this is the changing of Water Arrows to Dry Ice Arrows. So those two are true.

Or at least I THINK Water Arrows were magic… there was definitely a crystal or something involved.

4. The Nihilistic Idealist says:

I usually don’t set unrealistically high expectations towards any game (minus anything from CDprojekt), but every time I read comments on every gatheryourparty article (that isn’t from a editor) makes me feel like I’m on /v/ again.

5. MDef says:

Bets on kill/knockout prompts appearing on enemies nearly two metres away?

6. Anon says:

The console’s limitations will most likely dictate less expansive levels, fewer vertical challenges, larger hitboxes and perhaps aim assist, and the console audience which probably didn’t play the original Thief series will lead developers to a route of over-explaining everything, linear pseudo-open levels and making Garrett look like a supr-cool-sunglasses-on-at-night-whispering-smoker character devoted to a cause, not the cynical wisecracker looking out for himself.

PLEASE let games die with some respect. I’d like future players not to easily confuse the magnificent Thief 1 to a (possibly) shit console sellout.

7. Aeiou says:

It’s going to be terrible, you heard it here first people.

8. Martius says:

Another not needed reboot? Give me a break….

9. The Nihilistic Idealist says:

Jesus fucking Christ, there’s hardly a significant amount of info on this game yet people here are treating it likes it’s the worst reboot to occur since Ninja Theory’s Devil May Cry. You should be glad at least we’re receiving another Thief after the underwhelming, albeit decent Thief: Deadly Shadows.

What’s worse is that you guys are bashing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a proper successor to Ion Storm’s original masterpiece after the gravely disappointing Invisible War. The original Deus Ex is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, but I’m not going to be a nostalgiafag by claiming it was flawless. Human Revolution objectively has done a lot of things better than the original, it was easily one of the very bets games to come out in this generation.

I’m not asking for people to open their arms to the Thief reboot, but the amount of hatred being thrown at it when haven’t even received gameplay trailer is just sad.

10. Hidraga says:

Well, if you think about it, then from a story perspective the Thief series can’t properly progress. Remember how Thief 3 ended? If there was a Thief 4, then most likely you would have to play as a different character, not Garrett. Even if that was an interesting character, then I have no idea what would the story be about. Thief 1 is all about Trickster/chaos/nature, Thief 2 is about steampunk technology and destroying nature, Thief 3 is all about The Keepers and their secrets. Every game is about the major City factions… I don’t see how could the new developers progress from there. So maybe this reboot isn’t such a bad idea after all. =)

11. Syncing says:

Game
    Game 2
    Game 3
    Game
    Why?

12. Hidraga says:

They didn’t say that it’s a remake, but a reboot. This means they have a lot of freedom to create something different. Only time will tell if it will be something good or not… We will have to wait until we get more details from the devs.

13. The Nihilistic Idealist says:

Remember children, reboots aren’t always a bad thing. Sure, we get crap like DmC a.k.a. Fuck You: The Video Game. But remember the Mortal Kombat reboot from 2011? Not only was it awesome, it was the best in the series. Meaning there’s a 50/50 percent chance this reboot might turn out well.

• I think a lot of us at this point don’t like hearing the term “reboot” with franchises that not only a lot of people cared about, but really doesn’t need its slate wiped cleaned to begin with. Then again, the Thief games had a rough time after the last few games in terms of sales, if I did my research right. I can see why they want to make a new, bigger installment.

I’m still waiting to see more info on this new Thief game, but I don’t think it would have killed them to call it Thief IV. Calling it a reboot is basically saying “the last few games weren’t that good, so we’re going to make something new out of the IP”.

Then again Hitman Absolution wasn’t a reboot and it turned out to be unfaithful to the originals. I guess that 50/50 chance is still up in the air, but it’s no fun being left in the dark without knowing if we can trust Eidos Montreal or not. Looks like we’ll just have to wait.

• anon says:

Being the best Mortal Kombat is not exactly high praise. It’s not even the best western fighter after Skullgirls arrived.

• I wouldn’t say Skullgirls is better. It lacks severely in its roster and playable modes. Fun? Yes. But so is Mortal Kombat and it had a huge amount of characters, modes, unlockables, and secrets while it finally returned to the series’ defining DNA and expanded on it. There’s plenty to praise MK for.

Skullgirls is a lovely creation, but compared to other fighters, there’s barely much to talk about past the characters, artstyle, music, and references.

• Chris Wagar says:

And the infinite prevention system, high/low unblockable prevention, unique combo system, ability to choose literally any move on a character as an assist, unique character abilities, no jump on 360s, detailed as shit hitbox design, custom team size, and great tutorials.

Mortal Kombat meanwhile has the same normals on every character, miserable balance, and a block button that prevents high/low mixups and crossups, along with easily teched throws and generally some of the most boring gameplay systems in fighting games.

The newest Mortal Kombat is the best in the series, and it’s still not up to snuff with even second string fighting games like Last Blade 2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Melty Blood, or Arcana Heart. The only reason anyone has to care about Mortal Kombat is it invented juggles, which everyone else has since done better.

14. Salty says:

Here are the magazine scans (I think):

See Page 12: How do you make a stealth game appeal to a modern audience that is consistently bombarded by fast-paced franchises like Call of Duty, Uncharted and God of War?

15. Dan says:

“Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron”.

I though the whole “It’s just a dishonored clone” thing was a joke. Boy how wrong I was. And they JUST HAD TO slap in the stupid casual ‘instinct system’. I wish being a tool wasn’t profitable.

• Well, almost every bigger release nowadays has a “detective vision” (even The Witcher) so I guess it was a given. There’s nothing inherently bad about it and I think the devs will let us turn it off so everyone will be happy.

16. Chris Wagar says:

I’m not happy with the angle they’re taking with this reboot. It looks a lot like a retread of the trend DXHR and Dishonored started. Plotwise, there’s not a lot they could technically do with the series while hanging onto the main character (without pulling an MGS2 or MGS4 at least) but I’m really not comfortable with a reboot in the style of highlight everything, show the player where to go. I REALLY hope they don’t fuck with the maps. I really loved how the maps were literally drawn maps and you had to figure out where you were on the map without much indication of where you are (at least in Thief 1 & 3).